New York: Add another casualty to the Coronavirus testing protocols of Major League Baseball. The Yankees announced Saturday that closer Aroldis Chapman will not be with the team for the immediate future after testing positive for COVID-19.
Chapman, a MVP Latino Sports AL Reliever recipient, is the third Yankee to come up positive.
“He is experiencing mild symptoms,: said manager Aaron Boone about the 32-year old Cuban and six-time All-Star. Chapman will now have to undergo two tests that have to be negative in a 24-hour span before he can rejoin the Yankees.
Boone, in the new norm of Zoom video conferencing with the media, said the Yankees are adhering to all medical protocols and there are not further positive results of players in Summer Camp at Yankee Stadium.
An agreement with teams and players also states a positive COVID test result can be held from the media and public. Chapman, is one of the few that have tested positive and granted the Yankees permission to release his name.
There have been minor setbacks in this first week of Yankees Summer camp. Infielder DJ LeMahieu and right-hander Luis Cessa are isolated at home after testing positive for COVID-19, and results of further testing will dictate their return.
Masahiro Tankaka, concussion protocol, will be monitored next week. There is hope the right-hander will resume throwing next week after taking that fall on the mound off a Giancarlo Stanton liner.
Friday, according to MLB, 27 of 30 teams had a person test positive for COVID. The Yankees were one of those teams through the final round of the intake screening process. Players and personnel will now get tested every other day.
Medical protocols are followed. MLB has made it known that strict guidelines are in place to adhere with those safety guidelines.
Otherwise, it has been business as usual for the Yankees with the unusual circumstances of preparing for a season in the Bronx and ongoing global pandemic. They are basically at full strength for their potential and hopeful season opener at the Nationals Thursday evening July 23.
Comment: Ring786@aol.com Twitter@Ring786
- Dodgers Without Blacks In Starting Lineups – Los Dodgers sin negros en alineaciones iniciales October 23, 2020
- It Has Worked For MLB: World Series Continues October 22, 2020
- Rays’ Bounce Back and Win Another Nail Biter October 22, 2020
- Highest Paid in Major League Baseball – Los Mejor Pagados En Las Grandes Liga October 22, 2020
- Dodgers Take Game One In A Dominating Way October 21, 2020
- Cuba Mourns The Departure Of Tomás ‘El Jabao’ Herrera October 21, 2020
- The Most Defeated In The World Series – Los más derrotados en las S. Mundiales October 21, 2020
- FANS SEARCH FOR FERNANDO TATIS JR. HIGHLIGHTS MORE THAN ANY OTHER DURING 2020 POSTSEASON October 20, 2020
- The Game Taught Roberts That The Pitcher Was Urías October 20, 2020
- Letters From Beyond – Bob Gibson’s for Young Pitchers – Las cartas desde El Más Allá.- La de Bob Gibson para Los jóvenes lanzadores October 20, 2020