Written By Lyssette Santiago
SAN JUAN — For Ivan Rodríguez, Edgar Martínez and Tany Pérez, having played in the Puerto Rico Professional Baseball League was a key factor for their development and performance in the majors.
The three members of the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, gathered for a well-deserved recognition where their numbers were removed from the League in the opening match of the same, where Santurce received Mayagüez and incidentally, the current champions began winning him to the Indians.
Martínez, who made his entry to Cooperstown this year, received the first ball in the pitch of honor that belonged to Perez for many years in a Santurcino uniform for the 1960s.
“I am very grateful to this recognition and the Professional Baseball League that opened the doors to me to achieve what I got in the big leagues. I have always said that this league is stronger than the minor leagues and helps the player to develop. I hope that many of those who play here also do so and that we have more Hall of Famer,” he said.
Martínez said that local baseball is one of great quality and that it has a great level. “Coming to play my Puerto Rico was always a challenge for me because here you play hard. May they recognize us in themselves a great honor. ”
In the same way, Ivan “Pudge” Rodríguez expressed himself. “For me, playing in Puerto Rico was always a great motivation. This motivates more players to seek excellence, ”Rodríguez said.
On the other hand Tany Pérez said it was always an honor to wear Santurce’s uniform. I am a Boricua by adoption and Puerto Rico has given me a lot. The father of former player and commentator Eduardito Pérez, says that here he plays strong and that helped me a lot.
While leaders and players agreed with the withdrawal of the numbers used by these Major League Stars in our Professional Baseball. Tony Valentín, former player and current leader of Santurce believes that “These Baseball Stars are and will be a great motivation for our players, that their numbers are removed is a tribute and recognition of their executions on and off the pitch.
Finally Juan Puello, president of the Confederation of Professional Baseball of the Caribbean and who was present said that the history of Baseball Boricua begins a new era with this tribute.
- How The Rays Build Their Winning Rosters – Cómo los Rays arman aus rósters ganadores October 27, 2020
- (no title) October 26, 2020
- GALLERY: NYCFC vs. Montreal Impact October 25, 2020
- I Did Not See The Game, But Seeing The Dramatic Results Today Forced Me to Write This. October 25, 2020
- The Rays Cause Damage To American Television – Los Rays Causan Daño A La Televisión De USA October 25, 2020
- Colombian candidate to coach the Red Sox? – Colombiano candidato para dirigir a los Medias Rojas October 25, 2020
- GALLERY: New York Red Bulls vs. Orlando City SC October 24, 2020
- Dodgers Without Blacks In Starting Lineups – Los Dodgers sin negros en alineaciones iniciales October 23, 2020
- It Has Worked For MLB: World Series Continues October 22, 2020
- Rays’ Bounce Back and Win Another Nail Biter October 22, 2020