New York: Eddie Hearn and Matchroom Boxing USA are delighted to announce a multi-fight promotional deal with Julio Cesar Martinez and Canelo Promotions.
Martinez (14-1 11 KOs) is set to fight for the vacant WBC Flyweight title against Cristofer Rosales later in the year following his controversial clash with former champion Charlie Edwards.
The Mexican travelled to London in August to face the WBC king, and Martinez floored Edwards with a ferocious barrage in the third round – but a body punch when Edwards had taken a knee led to the fight being changed from a third round KO for the challenger to a no-contest and a rematch ordered.
Edwards has since vacated the belt having cited issues making the weight and will look to fight for World honors at Super-Flyweight, meaning that Martinez’s first fight with Hearn will be against the former WBC champion Rosales.
“I’m so happy to sign with Matchroom Boxing USA and I can’t wait to challenge for the World title later this year,” said Martinez. “I know with Eddie Hearn and Eddy Reynoso I have the perfect team to take me all the way to the top and become a huge star in the sport.”
“It is a pleasure to start this alliance with the best promoter in boxing,” said Eddy Reynoso, Sport and Talent director at Canelo Promotions. “We will work very hard and with great enthusiasm to launch Mexican talents to the big boxing leagues!”
“This is a great signing for Matchroom Boxing USA and I’m delighted to team up with Eddy Reynoso and Canelo Promotions to work with Julio Cesar Martinez,” said Hearn. “Julio is a dangerous young fighter who will be in many exciting fights over the years. I believe with his style he has the chance to become a huge star in Mexico and we look forward to the journey together – first things first, the WBC World title in December.”
- Astros Silence Yankee Sold Out Crowd. October 16, 2019
- Altuve And Cole Give Astros 2-1 Lead Over Yankees October 15, 2019
- All Quiet In The Southern Front – Well, Until A Few Hours From Now. October 15, 2019
- Correa, Torres’ Power Surge Fuel Astros, Yanks in ALCS — Severino Vows to Lead in Game 3 October 15, 2019
- Epic Again It Will Be Yankees-Astros ALCS October 11, 2019
- MatchRoom Boxing Signs Mexican Sensation October 11, 2019
- NLDS Shines Spotlight on Two Latinos Who Help Cards, Nats Advance to Championship Series October 11, 2019
- Rising Star Ryan Garcia On Canelo Undercard October 8, 2019
- RECAP: Nats, Cards Force Game 5, Rays Stun Astros, Yankees Advance to ALCS After Sweep — It’s All Here October 8, 2019
- Postseason Is Great For Local Businesses In South Bronx October 7, 2019