El Barrio, NY: Yesterday afternoon NY Mets Closer, Edwin Díaz was feeling a bit like home as he came to the Puerto Rican hub, El Barrio (AKA East Harlem) to receive his 2018 LatinoMVP award for being the best Closer in the American League last season. The LatinoMVP award sponsored by MLB is considered the most prestigious and oldest award given to Latino baseball players now celebrating its 29th year.
It was most fitting that though he received the award for his performance last season when was a Seattle Mariner, he actually got it yesterday while he is now a NY Met, making it quite appropriate for hosting his award luncheon in San Juan On 5th Ave restaurant in El Barrio, NY a fitting place for a very proud Puerto Rican from the island to feel at home.
Edwin was accompanied by his wife and a close family friend and was immediately showered by much love and affection from the moment he entered the restaurant by the over seventy-five guest who came specifically to pay homage to him. Among the guest were several youth and young children who were all excited to take pictures with the Puerto Rican idol.
Edwin received a series of artistic awards highlighted by two pieces, one from John Pennisi and the other by James Fiorentino. Edwin was elated upon seeing the awards and stated that they were the best awards he had ever received.
Many of the guests not only showered him with much love and affection, but several also gave him many words of encouragement and advice to deal with his recent pitching slump.
Apparently the love and the encouragement he received in his awards luncheon paid off as Edwin came out yesterday evening to close the door on the Atlanta Braves and give the Mets a much-needed 8-5 victory.
- Ortega In Braves’ Plans And Making Impact August 25, 2019
- PLAYERS’ WEEKEND: Mets Players Express Their Opinion on Baseball Today August 24, 2019
- 25th Annual Celebrity Basketball Game & Family Health Day August 24, 2019
- Braves Stop Mets Momentum In Extras August 24, 2019
- Mercado Shows Patience and Progress For Indians August 23, 2019
- WATCH: Colombian Pride with Gio Urshela August 20, 2019
- WATCH: One-on-One with WFAN’S Ed Coleman August 20, 2019
- Roberto Clemente’s Birthday Commemorated In Bronx In BIG Style August 19, 2019
- Yankees And Umpires At It Again Taking Care Of Indians August 17, 2019
- A Special & Exciting Birthday Celebration & Recognition For The Great One: Roberto Clemente. August 17, 2019