David Ortiz is expected to make a full recovery after being shot in the back at the Dial Bar and Lounge in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic on Sunday, according to multiple news reports.
Ortiz was taken to Abel Gonzalez clinic where he was treated for a gunshot wound to the back. According to Leo Ortiz, the father of David Ortiz, the bullet did not hit any major organs and had immediately exited his body.
“Please do not let me die. I am a good man.” Ortiz told doctors in the emergency room, according to ESPN.
In the surveillance footage of the crime scene the shooter can be seen approaching Ortiz from behind and shooting him at near point-blank range. According to police, the shooter is in custody but further details concerning the motive is unknown.
Ortiz was one of three victims in the shooting that took place Sunday night. The second victim has been identified as Jhoel Lopez, a Dominican TV host, who was with Ortiz at the time of the shooting. ESPN has reported that Dominican National Police Director Ney Aldrin Bautista Almonte has stated that the police believe Lopez was hit in the leg by the same bullet that pierced through Ortiz.
The 10-time All-Star is a legend on and off the baseball diamond. In his 20-year Major League Baseball career, Ortiz has won three World Series championships with the Boston Red Sox. He is also a LatinoMVP Award winner. Ortiz spends his days living in both the United States and Dominican Republic since retiring after the 2016 season.
“Big Papi will be around for a long time.” Leo Ortiz said reassuring us all.
Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with David Ortiz and the victims of this senseless act of violence.
- MLB ANNOUNCES 2021 REGULAR SEASON SCHEDULE July 9, 2020
- Danger from a players’ strike in 2022 – Peligro de una huelga de peloteros en 2022 July 9, 2020
- Short But Not Sweet: Crazy MLB Schedule Hard To Figure Out July 8, 2020
- The Cleveland Indians will no longer be the Indians – Los Indios de Cléveland ya no serán los Indios July 8, 2020
- The Letter from the Afterlife.- From Buck Canel for BB journalists/La Carta desde el Más Allá.- De Buck Canel para los periodistas del BB July 7, 2020
- The Risk Has Arrived With MLB Schedule In Place July 7, 2020
- What We’ve Seen In The First Week of Summer Camp July 6, 2020
- Latin Americans and the Hall of Fame – July 4, 2020
- THE 2022 MIDSUMMER CLASSIC TO THE DODGERS July 3, 2020
- MLB AND MLBPA ANNOUNCE FIRST COVID-19 TEST RESULTS July 3, 2020