Bronx, NY — The New York Yankees didn’t allow a rain delay dampen their chances of digging themselves out of a two-run deficit in the bottom of the ninth inning. Third baseman Gio Urshela knocked in the game-winning run with a RBI single against José Alvardo, giving the Yankees the walk-off win and sole possession of first place in the American League East.
“Great at bats all night, tonight obviously a couple hits the other way and then he absolutely scolded that ball,” manager Aaron Boone said on Gio Urshela’s night, “They had him played perfectly but he hit it so hard to get it over his head, just another, him coming up in a big way like he has much of the year so far.”
Urshela was given the opportunity to come up clutch in the ninth inning with the help of a leadoff home run from Luke Voit, a 10-pitch at-bat from Gleyber Torres that resulted in a double and a wild-pitch scoring pinch-hitter Thairo Estrada to help the Yankees succeed their ninth inning rally.
“Trying to bring the runner to home plate, I was trying to control my emotion and then I got the hit,” Urshela said describing his game winning at-bat against Alvardo. “Everyone is positive and one hundred percent, they come here to fight every game.”
Kendrys Morales hit his first home run as a Yankee into the second deck at Yankee Stadium in the bottom of the second inning, giving the Yankees a 1-0 lead.
“Guys are playing well, I love the way we’re coming in every day, the way we’re competing day in and day out,” Boone said on his team winning their fourth straight game and taking the lead the American League East, “I’m happy with that.”
- Santurce Revalidated Themselves As Champions In PR Winter Baseball January 21, 2020
- Letter From The Hereafter From Ty Cobb To José Altuve About The Theft of Signs January 20, 2020
- Latino Pride Continued In Ring Saturday Evening At Different Venues January 19, 2020
- Beltran Was A Victim And Baseball Begins Damage Control January 16, 2020
- Beltrán Departs As Mets Manager Amidst Scandal January 16, 2020
- The Baseball Scandal Stuns, But Miguel Cabrera Is A Mountaineer January 16, 2020
- Alex Cora is The Latest Casualty; Is Carlos Beltran Next? January 14, 2020
- Latino Sports & Puerto Ricans Across Baseball Shine Light on Island Following Series of Earthquakes January 14, 2020
- The Metrics Are Not As Good As It Seems January 14, 2020
- Letter From The Hereafter From Home Run Baker For Kris Bryant January 13, 2020