After burning the bats in the finals of the winter baseball season in Puerto Rico, the Cangrejeros de Santurce were limited to one hit to lose in the opening match of the tournament on Monday, 3-1, against the Dominican Republic in the National State Stadium, Rod Carew in the capital of Panama.
The champions of the Professional Baseball League Roberto Clemente (LBPRC) arrived in the Panamanian capital with 39 undisputed consecutive hits connected in their sweep of four games against the Mayagüez Indians.
However, on Monday only designated hitter David Vidal was able to connect against pitching of the Dominican Republic after the impeccable work of the starter Néstor Cortés (winning pitcher) and the relievers Jenry Mejía and Román Méndez. The trio combined for 1.80 ERA with nine strikeouts in eight innings.
- Lopez Living Up To Takeover April 23, 2019
- Arum Out Of Line But Top Rank Commits April 22, 2019
- Gallery: Easter Sunday in The Bronx, Yankees vs. Royals April 22, 2019
- Yankees Andjuar Recovering Slowly April 19, 2019
- Soler And Royals Use Home Run Ball April 18, 2019
- Melendez And BTI Expand To Bahamas April 18, 2019
- Keeping It Real. April 18, 2019
- Gallery: New York Yankees vs. Boston Red Soxs Series April 17, 2019
- Tribeca Film Festival Sports Movies Rundown April 17, 2019
- Boxing Notebook: Garcia & Verdejo Look For Wins April 17, 2019