Bronx, NY: On January 22, 2019 the Baseball Writers Association of America (BBWAA) will announce the voting results of the 2019 inductees to the prestigious Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY.
Many Puerto Ricans and general baseball fans are excited at the prospect that, Edgar Martínez (AKA the Hitting Machine and Yankee Killer) of the Seattle Mariners will finally have his moment of glory.
This is Edgar’s 10th and final year of eligibility in the Baseball Writers’ Association of America election process. Last year he was named on 70.3 percent of the ballots, falling just a bit of the needed 75 percent.
According to Ryan Thibodaux’s Hall of Fame tracker Martínez has been named on all 32 ballots made public (out of 400 voters), including six voters who did not include him last year.
The trend looks positive for Martínez who many believed that he was looked over because of him being a designated hitter the majority of his career. Martínez played 1,403 of his 2,055 career games at DH. Many voters have held this against him, but he had far superior numbers to Harold Baines who was recently inducted by the Veteran’s Committee (this is another way for players and executives to enter the baseball shrine). Edgar had a career .312/.418/.515 line with a 68.4 bWAR and seven All-Star appearances.
Baines career numbers are: .289/.356/.465 line with six All-Star selections and a 38.7 bWAR, with 1,643 of his career 2,830 games coming at designated hitter.
So it looks very positive for Edgar Martínez, his fans and for the people of his homeland, Puerto Rico who can use as many reasons to celebrate as they slowly rebuild from the economic and disastrous results of hurricane Maria.
Follow Latino Sports if you are interested in attending the HOF as we will be organizing an all day bus excursion on July 21st, 2019
- MLB ANNOUNCES 2021 REGULAR SEASON SCHEDULE July 9, 2020
- Danger from a players’ strike in 2022 – Peligro de una huelga de peloteros en 2022 July 9, 2020
- Short But Not Sweet: Crazy MLB Schedule Hard To Figure Out July 8, 2020
- The Cleveland Indians will no longer be the Indians – Los Indios de Cléveland ya no serán los Indios July 8, 2020
- The Letter from the Afterlife.- From Buck Canel for BB journalists/La Carta desde el Más Allá.- De Buck Canel para los periodistas del BB July 7, 2020
- The Risk Has Arrived With MLB Schedule In Place July 7, 2020
- What We’ve Seen In The First Week of Summer Camp July 6, 2020
- Latin Americans and the Hall of Fame – July 4, 2020
- THE 2022 MIDSUMMER CLASSIC TO THE DODGERS July 3, 2020
- MLB AND MLBPA ANNOUNCE FIRST COVID-19 TEST RESULTS July 3, 2020