Bronx, NY - Latino Sports photographer Bill Menzel covered Sunday’s game between the New York Yankees and the Los Angeles Angles at Yankee Stadium. The Bronx Bombers prevailed 3-2 over the Angels. Yankees rookie pitcher led the way with an and 11-strikeout performance in 6.1 innings of work. Out of his 108 pitches, 71 of them were strikes.
NEW YORK YANKEES NOTES
- The Yankees are 2-1 on their current nine-game homestand…are now 10-4 in their last 14 games since 4/12.
- The Yankees are 2-1 vs. the Angels this season (2-1 at Yankee Stadium), winning the home season series between the clubs for the sixth straight season (since 2009)…since 2009, are 17-8 vs. the Angels at Yankee Stadium.
- The Yankees won a game in which they recorded three-or-fewer hits for the first time since 7/7/06 at Tampa Bay (3H in a 1-0 victory).
- RHP Masahiro Tanaka allowed 2ER in 6.1IP (5H, 4BB, 11K, 1HP, 1HR) without recording a decision, setting a career high in strikeouts…marked the most strikeouts by a Yankees rookie pitcher since Orlando Hernandez struck out 13 batters on 8/13/98 vs. Texas. Joins Mike Mussina (first seven starts in 2003) and CC Sabathia (first five starts in 2012) as the only Yankees in franchise history to start a season with at least seven strikeouts in each of his first five games (credit: Elias).
- Now has 46K this season, marking the third-highest strikeout total by any pitcher since 1900 in his first five Major League starts, trailing only Herb Score (50) and Stephen Strasburg (48)—credit: Elias.
- Since 1920, joins Al Downing (eight times in 1963) as the only Yankees rookies to record at least three games of 10-or-more strikeouts.
- Walked four batters tonight after entering the game with just 2BB combined over his first four starts of the season.
- With 15K tonight, Yankees pitchers have struck out at least 10K in four straight games (since Thursday), recording 10-or-more strikeouts in four consecutive games for the first time since 9/19-22/12…their 15K tonight were their most since 9/29/13 at Houston (19K in 14.0 innings) and their most in a 9.0-inning game since 9/20/12 vs. Toronto (15K).
- 1B Mark Teixeira (1-for-2) tied the game with a solo HR in the seventh…was his first home run at Yankee Stadium since 6/4/13 vs. Cleveland.
- INF Brendan Ryan began a rehab assignment today with Single-A Tampa, playing all nine innings at SS and going 2-for-5 with 1RBI…is currently on the 15-day disabled list with a cervical spine nerve injury.